Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny

Bad News: SFMoMA is currently closed for remodel.

Good News: They've designed a very interesting platform to browse their collection online. Sorting through archives normally can be a chore, but the SFMoMA artscope makes browsing kind of fun. You can use it as a search tool but I think it's more fun to play around with as a graphical interface. Scan, zoom, retreat, explore, etc.


Focused Vision, 1941, Nathan Lerner, (SFMoMA)

This caught my eye recently but I know nothing else about it. Is it a proprietary format? Are there other sites like it out there? Is it a taste of the future? Seems like Flickr and Instagram should take note, not to mention other institutional collections. Or maybe even personal sites. Happy browsing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually from 2008 and seems to be a relic of the past rather than anything new. I asked them on twitter when I found out about it a couple years ago.

Blake Andrews said...

Takes me a few years to catch up with stuff. That's about par for the course. But if it's that old why haven't other sites adopted it?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that it's flash and that's a dead end now. But this would totally be a fun phone app right?